Monday 18 February 2013

BONUS FESTIVAL REVIEW - Grainne Maguire at the Belmont

With over 500 shows in 17 days, obviously I can't see everything at Dave's Leicester Comedy Festival. Clearly I need either a cloning machine or some willing minions to review the shows I can't make it to. With my cloning technology still stuck in the development stage, I sent local wordsmith Louise Jenkins along to watch Grainne Maguire at the Belmont on Saturday evening, and here's what she had to say...

 'The one to watch out for' - Gráinne Maguire
Well hello - Louise here reporting for duty! 

Despite his very best efforts, the godfather of LCS can’t be everywhere reviewing everything at once these two weeks, so it’s with great pleasure (and mild terror) that I contribute to this dazzling festival diary (I’ll try my best not to f*ck it up). I’ve been tasked with sniffing out some of the festival’s ‘quirkier’ acts and so Gráinne Maguire (with all her lovely quirks) would seem to fit the bill!

Admittedly, I hadn’t done my research prior to last night’s engagement at the Belmont (ooh err), so was pleasantly surprised when greeted with such a charming nervous energy as opposed to the deadpan humour her choice of wardrobe might suggest (boy does she rock the Famous Five chic). Instead, we were treated to what felt like an hour round a mate’s house discussing awkward crushes, annoying Londoners (aka Kate Middleton) and being single with the itch that you’re always missing out (haven’t we as fully grown adults all been there).

From the fields of Ireland’s unofficial ‘Clara Lara Fun Park’ to her quest for love at a Labour party conference, Gráinne wove her adventures as an unconventional go-getter with few blips whilst mastering the art of the (slow moving) high five. Her theories behind the Tories’ lack of female voters (closing libraries as reverse psychology) and wanting to change them with her vagina even had me giggling (and that’s coming from someone who hates politics)!

Hailed as the ‘one to watch’ in the past, I would instead argue that she's ‘the one to watch out for’ as, for a woman with ‘surprisingly low standards’, beneath that layer of Kirstie Allsop exists a remarkable intelligence with more to her than meets the eye. Bravo.

(And, ahem, between friends and that - where did you get those brogues from?)

1 comment: